Near the beginning of each year, politicians usually present a speech that summarizes what s/he believes is extremely important about the state of the constituency they represent. Topics that are usually addressed in that speech include:
- Team players - The people who have had significant roles are usually introduced and congratulated for the time, effort and wisdom that they have invested.
- Values - Communities and groups are usually bonded together by shared values. Desire for safety, growth, freedom and opportunity can become strong motivators during the decision-making process and actions that are taken.
- Progress and achievements - There is always time allotted in the addressed for bragging. Laws passed, buildings erected, and projects completed are described with pride.
- Responsibilities and accountability - Although this part of the presentation is usually not emphasized, there is usually mention of decisions that were criticized or viewed as ineffective. Historical information may be used to enlighten the listeners and provide insight about how events unfolded and why they were not handled effectively.
- Inspirations - The stories of individuals who sacrificed personally or professionally to better others are often told to encourage listeners. The more extraordinary the hero accomplishment, the more powerful the presentation.
- Goals - Strong leaders usually have clear vision for the days ahead and can describe the plans laid out as well as expected deadlines for achievement.
- Threats and dangers - Describing the negatives and barriers that the leaders are realistically encountering educates listeners and can motivate them to offer support.
- Confidence - Voters want to feel good about those who were elected to represent them, and confidence will grow if and when successes are realized. Trust builds confidence.
Perhaps it is time for you to evaluate your own personal state. Name the individuals who have played important roles in your life. Consider the values that underlie your decision-making. Pat yourself on the back for the things that you have done well and take responsibility for the things you could have done better. Think about what has and continues to inspire you.
Think about the goals that you want to realize this year as well as the things that might interfere with your progress.
Finally, trust yourself and enter the upcoming days with confidence!