I grew up in Saskatchewan but have to admit that winter isn't my favourite season. I always really look forward to spring and here is why:
- Nature wakes up - Leaving my patio door open allows me to hear the birds singing and feel the warm breezes. Ice that trapped the river has melted, the trees are budding, and thoughts go to the planting gardens and crops. It is a time of new beginnings.
- Wardrobes change - How wonderful to be able to go outside without boots, scarves, hats, and jackets. These are replaced with flipflops and single layers of light fabrics and sunscreen.
- Activities move outdoors - We can do for long walks or picnics, enjoy watching children ride their bikes and feel proud of the work we do to beautify our yards. The golf courses, parks and swimming pools open. Even our pets enjoy chasing a ball or just soaking up the warmth of the day.
- Mobility is easier - We don't need to shovel or worry about winter accidents or slipping on icy patches. Plans can be easily made without having to think about how a snowstorm could interfere.
- Schedules change - Families think about summer holidays. Farmer's Markets open and evenings can be enjoyed outdoors watching baseball, drive-in movies or just lounging after a family barbecue. Many look forward to professional sporting events such as rodeos or track and field.
Yes, I love spring!
This year, we are practicing physical distancing due to the pandemic but that doesn't mean that we can't enjoy the season. Open the windows, go for a walk, spend time in your back yard. Spring has not been cancelled.
I find it interesting that so often in the past I have heard individuals say, "I wish that I had more time to enjoy life". Well, this wish has come true! Enjoy this time that you have been given!
It's spring - time for new beginnings and lovely, warm days!