- Greet the client with enthusiasm - When a customer needs to search for a store clerk or stand in line to have questions answered, they do not feel that they are valued. It is important to have someone acknowledge them in a friendly way as soon as they make any contact with you whether it be in person, by telephone or through the internet.
- Ask good questions - You cannot give a good answer if you do not know exactly what the client needs and how it will help that person. Asking questions shows interest and respect. (By the way, if you don't know the answer, find it as quickly as possible and relay the information to the client).
- Know what you have to offer and how it will benefit the client - "I don't know" is a common answer in today's world but it doesn't help the person has needs. Make sure you understand exactly what you can provide and how it will work for the client. Creativity is allowed as long as the customer is satisfied with the results.
- Provide a safe, clean and inviting atmosphere for the client - Those who visit your site need to feel comfortable and not overwhelmed. Organize the environment so that things are easy to find. Having relaxing colours and interesting conversation will encourage the person to stay longer.
- Offer good quality - Whether you own a restaurant or sell products over the internet, it is important that the client believes that what was purchased is as good as or better than they would find somewhere else. Remember, when you add your first-class service you will easily surpass the competition.
- Communicate- When you make contact with your client, it shows that this person is more than a purchaser. It says, "I care about you". A telephone call, in our age of technology is a very nice way to show that you have gone out of your way to build the relationship. (Remember to focus on the person and not on you or your product)
- Give Thanks- There are few words more important to someone than "Thank You". This expression can be relayed to your clients in a mailed card, gift, referral or by merely uttering the words with sincerely.
People are hungry for respect and appreciation. When you show that you value having a relationship with your client, you will not only benefit through their loyalty, but also through the referrals that they make on your behalf.
And... you will also enjoy the extra benefits that come from building your career and relationships at the same time!