Accounting And More Branding Career Advice Careers Employment Customer Service Entrepreneurialism Ethics Human Resources Management Marketing Networking PR Productivity Small Business Solo Professionals Strategic Planning Travel Workplace Communication
Grief and Loss
What Stage are you In?
Dealing with Tigers
What is Stupid
Are You Worried?
Life's a Puzzle
Let's Sing Along!
Navigating the Journey
Success and a Mess!
May Long Weekend
Faith Versus Hope
Making Things Right
What do you Believe?
One of the Best Choices You Can Make
1. Save Money - You don't need to purchase a ticket or fill your gas tank to drive to an event. Cooking at home can also cost a great deal less than eating in a restaurant and doing so allows you to create new recipes or old favourites.
2. Enjoy the uniqueness offered by your home - Perhaps you live near a park or have a beautiful yard. Maybe you have a fireplace, reading room or big screen television. What is the point in having a comfortable bed if you are never in it? Or a comfortable living room that never gets "lived in". You chose your home for a number of reasons and decorated it to suit the lifestyle of you and your family. Now is the time to reap the benefits.
3. Communicate with those you love - Whether it is helping children with homework, sharing a meal with neighbours or phoning a good friend, your home provides a setting that can enhance relationships.
4. Complete projects - Do you have stacks of photos that are waiting to be put into albums? How many things are you said "i wish I had time for..."? Are there renovations that need to be completed? Do you have a correspondence course to finish? What about that closet that you have been promising yourself to clean?
5. Feed your soul with the things that you enjoy - What hobbies have you neglected for a long time? Many people long for activities that they enjoyed in the past which have disappeared by the busyness of their life. Do you have books to read, paintings to paint, instruments to play or an antique car to restore? A deck of cards can bring laughter while a well-written letter can bring pleasure to you and the recipient.
I find it amazing that people invest so much time and money to create a home and then seldom stay home to enjoy it. Why not make a commitment that this next weekend you will soak up all the benefits that come with staying home? I think you'll be glad you did!
About the Author
Dr. Hancock has written a regular weekly column entitled “All Psyched Up” for newspapers in two Canadian provinces for more than a dozen years...