Last week we talked about movie quotes that are not realistic. Following are some that might make more sense:
1. I've got a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore (The Wizard of Oz 1939) - Dorothy had been safe living with her aunt and uncle but being in Oz changed everything for her. There are times in life when we need to face the reality of new adventures and develop character to navigate them successfully.
2. What we've got here is a failure to communicate (Cool Hand Luke 1967) - Almost every one of the 8,000 clients I have seen admit that communication has been a problem for them. It doesn't matter whether it is your family, work environment or social realm, communication can be a problem as everyone has his/her own perspective and opinion. When you admit that there is a communication problem, though you are halfway to resolving it.
3. E.T. phone home (E.T. the extra-terrestrial 1982) It is easy to get caught up in the busyness of life and assume that those you care about will always be there. They won't! Keep in touch with a visit or phone call which usually are appreciated more than a two-word text message.
4. Show me the money (Jerry McGuire 1996) - Somehow it was easier to budget and keep track of finances before debit and credit cards. We knew that we were broke when our pockets were empty. Didn't need to go to an ATM to determine our status. I find that when I deal in cash, I am wiser about my spending that when I use virtual methods that don't seem real until a bank statement arrives.
5. Today I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the earth (The Price of the Yankees 1942) - Well, you might not think you are the luckiest but thinking you are the unluckiest won't help anything will it? Try to focus on your blessings instead of your difficulties for most of the day.
6. Houston, we have a problem (Apollo 13 1995) - Launching into space is an endeavor that required hundreds of experts. Problem-solving also seems to be easier when we have individuals with whom we can consult. Admitting that there is a problem and reaching out for help can facilitate prompt and efficient resolution.
7. It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose (Star Trek Season 2 Episode 21) - This week a client quoted this line from Star Trek and I heard it for the first time ever. There is a lot of truth in it. Sometimes we can take care of our health and still get sick. We can perform well and still not succeed. We can choose a suitable partner and still end up alone. The important thing to do, I believe, is not become so discouraged that you give up!
What movie lines have helped you to do well in life? Perhaps you should quote them often so that others can benefit from them also.
And now I would like to invite you to claim your Free Instant Access to a complimentary list of 10 Steps to Making Your Life an Adventure when you visit http://lindahancock.com
From Dr. Linda Hancock, Registered Psychologist and Registered Social Worker