So many times I have people say that they will be happy once a specific event occurs. They think that once they move into the new house, start their job, travel or retire they will be happy. But it doesn't work that way.
If you truly want to be happy there are several things that you can do:
- Decide to be happy - You are not just a victim of circumstances and of your emotions. Think about it this way. If you are in a horrible argument with someone and your respected hero enters the room, what will happen? The fighting will likely cease immediately, your mood with change and you will behave entirely differently than you had been moments previous to this. You do have control and can make decisions about how you will face the day!
- Lower your expectations - We are never disappointed unless we have expectations. If you base your emotions on the need for certain things to happen, you will likely be let down a great deal of the time. Instead, work hard and treat everything good that happens as a bonus for which you can be thankful.
- Stay away from trouble - Avoid the things that steal pleasure and replace it with stress. Pay your bills on time. Take care of your health. Beware of alcohol, drugs and caffeine as they can bring a number of issues to your life.
- Let other people deal with their problems - Make sure that you do not get too wrapped up in issues of your friends or family members. We are each responsible for our own lives and even when someone makes mistakes, it is not up to you to make things better. Oh, and remember that worry doesn't help anyone!
- Focus more on what you can control than on what you can't control - You might not like your income but you can improve your credentials so you will get a better job in the future. Perhaps you have an illness like diabetes. You cannot cure it but you can make choices that to manage it effectively.
- Face your own problems and make plans to resolve them - Learning how to budget can help you gain good financial health. Selling your house might be easier if you invest time and energy into doing simple repairs and cleaning.
- Learn to enjoy the moment - Happiness is often found in small daily occurrences like having a visit with a friend, playing with your pet, working in your garden, or soaking up the outdoors during your lunch break.
- Look for the good in everything - You don't have to be a Pollyanna about life but there can be positive things about every situation if you will just make a point of identifying them.
Happiness is not an uncatchable mouse! Once you have made up your mind that you are going to be happy despite what is going on around you and the ones you love the task will become easier. One of the key things to remember is that happiness is not from the outside but instead begins on the inside and actually radiates outward and can even influence everyone who is around you in a positive manner.
Begin by saying "I choose to be happy" and then take action to ensure that it happens.
You will be amazed at how much your day will improve!