There is really nothing you can do about a cancelled or delayed flight but there are things that you can do while you are waiting for your next scheduled flight time:
1. Consider how fortunate it is that you weren't in the air when the mechanical problem was discovered.
2. Explore the stores in the airport. This might be the chance you were waiting for to roam the bookstore, purchase a new sweater or buy next month's birthday cards.
3. Treat yourself to a massage or facial at the spa.
4. Enjoy a nice leisurely meal in one of the fine dining establishments.
5. Phone your family members.
6. Write that required report now so you don't have to do it when you land.
7. Review your business plan and make adjustments for the next three months of goals.
8. Visit with another passenger.
9. Get your hair cut.
10. Go for a long walk.
11. Complete your online shopping and have items shipped to your home or office.
12. Write and prioritize a "To Do" list for the next week.
13. Do a crossword puzzle.
14. Sort and delete emails in your inbox.
15. Sit in front of the window and watch the runway activity.
18. Play a game of solitaire (most gift shops have cards for sale).
19. Write a list of all the places that you want to visit and begin researching them.
20. If you have enough time, rent a car and take a short tour.
21. Call a friend to meet you at the airport for a visit.
22. Develop a meal plan for the next week.
23. Sit quietly and allow your mind to review good memories.
25. Knit or crochet.
26. Program your telephone numbers into your iPhone
27. Review your meeting or workshop notes.
28. Find a comfy chair and a television set.
29. See if there is a hotel nearby - you might be able to have a swim!
30. Check with the ticket agent to see what options are available for you to get home.
Much of life is about choices. You can choose to be miserable or choose to make life into an adventure.