It sounds too trite to merely say that everyone who is in business is only there for the money. Of course, we all need to make sure that we have enough money to pay the bills but that isn't the only reason why we do what we do.
Following are the five things that most people want from their business:
1. Money - Okay, let's deal with that right away. We need to be able to cover all our personal and business expenses. Besides that, though, most of us have hobbies, dreams and goals that a good income can help us to realize. The bigger the dreams, the more money we will need to finance them.
2. Respect - A good reputation goes a long way. It helps us to feel good about ourselves, draws referrals from others and builds trust for all those who deal with us. When we have respect from others, our confidence rises.
3. Freedom - Some people claim that you can't have both time and money - at the same time. Many who chase the dollar find that they are investing most of their working hours into the activity. Others who have a great deal of time do not have the money to do things that they that hoped to accomplish. Freedom means that you have enough money to buy you the freedom that time allows. It's a balance.
4. Satisfaction - If you are working in a business or career for several hours a month and many years of your life, it is important that you are happy with what you do. This means that you enjoy the type of work and the way that you are able to perform it. It is sad to see people who invest several decades into a vocation while counting the days until you don't need to do it anymore. Strive to find satisfaction in your work.
5. Growth - It is very exciting to see a business grow from the tiniest seed of an idea into a profitable and recognized enterprise. It is also very motivating to realize that you have grown as a person throughout the process of building that business.
If you aren't able to state confidently that you enjoy all of the above five aspects of your business, there is something wrong. Identify the area(s) that could be improved and then make a plan to make whatever changes are necessary.