There is no doubt that, over time, this could lead to chemical depression as stress can wear down the brain's neurotransmitters but the good news is that with a little planning, development of new skills and directed action, things can quickly turn around.
There are several areas in which an individual can feel overwhelmed.
- Finances - We live in a world that promotes "buy now and pay later". Frequently the mail contains credit cards that we didn't request or offers for loans that were unsolicited. The best thing to do is immediately shred these before you are too tempted to go out and buy things that you don't need with money you don't have.
- Parenting - Children are very intelligent and can often set up situations where others feel manipulated into giving them what they want even if it isn't the best choice for them. Each child is unique and there aren't any specific "rules" to follow that will work exactly the same with every single child. It's hard work to parent!
- Relationships - We don't really take any courses about how to deal with angry partners, rebellious teens or ill parents. It is especially difficult for the "sandwich generation" who face caring for parents and children at the same time.
- Career - When the economy is good, we have more choices about how we will earn a living. When it is on a down swing, we might not be able to find work or feel "stuck" in a job where there is little satisfaction or even workplace bullying.
- Chores - Do we ever get caught up on yard or housework? It certainly doesn't feel like it. And there are so many other things that demand our time. Perhaps you feel like there just aren't enough hours in the day!
If you are feeling overwhelmed, take heart. There are ways to handle all the stress and problems that challenge us on a regular basis. When you are struggling and wondering where to begin or want to get support that you don't have at this time, schedule an appointment with a psychologist. You will then be able to gain the perspective that you need in order to get out of the mess and be so glad that you make this first step.!