Having your own business can be a lot of work and there are times when everyone becomes frustrated with certain aspects of it. If you are feeling this way, however, there are some things that you can do.
1. Take some time to assess the situation - Do not do anything impulsive but instead set aside a period of time when you can focus on the business without interruption.
2. Write a list of all the things that are frustrating you - It is best to do this in point form. Try to write in clear but short sentences.
3. Number the items in order of priority - The first item would be the one that is most annoying or causing the biggest problem for the business. Use the same criteria to order the other items.
4. Identify if there are other people who are part of the problem - Perhaps there is a staff member, family members or other professional who are contributing to the situation.
5. Begin with the first item and consider options for correcting the problem - There are usually several different ways that a problem can be resolved. Write them all down without judgment.
6. Consult with others who might have expertise - You might need to talk with a lawyer, accountant, business coach or other expert who will help you to consider options to resolve the problem.
7. Develop a plan of action to resolve the issue - It is best if you put your plan in writing as that will help you to form your thoughts clearly and help you when it comes to making revisions.
8. Meet with individuals who are involved - Nothing will change unless you involve the people who have contributed to and can be part of the solution.
9. Outline expectations and timelines - It is very important to have clear communication about what, how and when changes need to be made so that everyone has the same information and goals.
10. Repeat steps 5 to 9 for each of the identified problems - Try taking one problem at a time and go through the steps until you reach a place where things have improved before attacking the next problem. That way you will be able to focus your time and energy until you reach a level of desired success.
It may take considerable time to deal with things, especially if you have been allowing them to build without trying to resolve things as they occurred. But, if you follow the above steps, it will not take long until you start to see good results.
Dr. Linda Hancock, the author of “Life is An Adventure…every step of the way” and “Open for Business Success” is a Registered Psychologist who has a private practice in Medicine Hat. She can be reached at 403-529-6877 or through email email@example.com