I find it interesting to discuss the state of our world and how it has changed. Some people believe that it has gotten far worse over time. Others focus on positive advancements. A third group blends aspects from both of these stances.
Let’s try to put things into perspective by acknowledging a few concepts:
- There has always been trouble in the world. Those who have studied the Bible know that evil appeared to Adam and Eve in the form of a talking snake. Their two children, Cain and Abel got into an argument that resulted in murder. Only one family with four members on earth and yet they experienced significant difficulties. Problems aren’t new. There has always been abuse, environmental disasters, wars, diseases and personal problems.
- Our population has grown significantly. In the year 1800 the world population was around one billion and has increased seven-fold since then. As of August 2020, records indicate there were 7.8 billion people in the world. More people naturally means more demands and more problems.
- Technology has changed. When I was growing up there might be a murder in Texas, but we didn’t know about it until the newspaper arrived or we had opportunity to hear a radio news report. Today, a murder can we watched live as it happens on television or internet! News is no longer just news. The fact that we have twenty-four-hour broadcasting means that there is a lot of airtime to fill. An opinion is just a thought but when you have twenty-four hours of opinions, it can be confusing! And remember, the more drama that is offered, the bigger the audience.
- We have rights that need to be respected. I am so thankful that we have come to a point in time when we recognize that everyone has rights. Even the past and the process used to gain these rights deserves respect as this brought us to the present. I am saddened by the fact that not all opinions or historical experiences are respected. Protestors frequently act as though they are the only ones who have the truth and that everyone else is wrong. Respect can easily be lost in their passion.
- We need to take responsibility for our lot in life. Throughout the years I have had over 8,000 clients and many personal acquaintances. It has always amazed me when someone who has had every advantage or opportunity possible is blaming, negative and wanting. They present as victims. In stark contrast are individuals who have had extreme barriers and disadvantages but are inspirational by their positive attitudes and healthy determination.
Do I believe that the world is worse than ever? No. I think the world is very different and continues to change over time. It is a mix of good and evil.
The important thing to remember is that it is not what happens but how we deal with it that counts. Seek out positive supports, make healthy decisions based on research and keep putting one foot in front of the other every day. You will soon be able to see your progress, feel proud of yourself and enjoy the life you have been given.